Welcome to CodeTrain! CodeTrain is a team of Computer Science Educators committed to expanding and improving CS programs across Canada. Formed in 2018, it is led by a team based in Edmonton, Alberta with support from TakingITGlobal, the College Board and advised by teachers, NGOs and industry professionals from across Canada. Our goal is to improve student access to Computing Science in Canada through quality teacher professional development. Our resources are designed to be used by teachers in any province (or country), providing any curriculum framework.
The Codetrain Teachers Resource Package is getting rave reviews from teachers across Canada. The ideas and lessons are being adopted and adapted both by seasoned Computer Science teachers and teachers with little to no CS background. Thanks to the sponsorship of Taking It Global, these resources are free for you to use in your classroom.
We have 3 versions of our Package so you can choose the one that best suits your needs:
- Lesson Package Version 1 (our original package Two Year package of lessons and resource) - Focuses on Processing in year 1 and Java in year 2. Designed for AP CS Principles and for schools not doing CS.
Each package includes:
- Daily lesson plans designed with enough flexibility to meet your provincial outcomes.
- Fully coded examples to accompany the lessons
- Assignment and activities to accompany the lessons
- Samples of real student work to give you a feel for what students can accomplish on each assignment
Access the Lesson Plan Docs here.
Access the code for all the examples used in the Lesson Plans here.
Access the folder of all the student instructions, worksheets, assignments, etc. used in the Lesson Plans here.
Access the Student Exemplars for all the assignments used in the Lesson Plans here.
Contact us at Codetra.in to learn more about our PD sessions to help you get the most out of our package.
Plus our Programming Bootcamp for Teachers is a great YouTube video series introducing you to P5.js and how we use it in our lessons.
CodeTrain provides fully completed assignment exemplars for each of the assignments in the Resource Package. These program samples are created by actual students and are designed to give you a feel for what your students can produce. You are welcome to display the products for your students but please do not provide them with access to the code itself.